Incredible views and versatile, state-of-the-art facilities provide a beautiful and ideal space for group meetings, trainings, special events, and celebrations. The Potomac Science Center is located in Woodbridge, Virginia, on the beautiful Belmont Bay.
First-class customer service and attention to detail will ensure high-quality service for your event needs. Event spaces offer cutting-edge audiovisual equipment, including projectors, screens, and sound systems.
The events team at Mason’s Potomac Science Center welcomes university departments, government agencies, businesses, community members, and non-profit organizations to host events at this exceptional location.
As a reminder, department or internal office meetings should be held virtually and must follow all Safe Return to Campus Plan precautions.
Virtual events are still strongly encouraged. Guidelines for virtual events can be found at events.gmu.edu/virtualevents.
The university is allowing some in-person events to be held with the following restrictions:
Events will be held in accordance with current phase guidelines for Commonwealth of Virginia businesses and Mason’s Event Exception Committee guidelines:
- No more than 50% occupancy of event space or 150 people, whichever is less. This cap includes organizers, panelists, etc.
- Spaces must be configured to provide six feet of physical distance between participants
- Events must be seated to ensure appropriate physical distancing
- All attendees, including organizers, panelists, etc., must wear face coverings
- Exits will be configured to reduce the occurrence of bottlenecks at the conclusion of the event
- Events will not be open to the general public; there must be an evite or registration system in place.
For more information on these guidelines and to view event requirements, please read the Fall 2020 Events Guidelines and Process.
To reschedule or edit a current reservation at the Potomac Science Center, email email@example.com.
For updates regarding the university and the COVID-19 pandemic, visit gmu.edu/coronavirus.
Social Distancing Event Space Diagrams
Planning Your Event
Whether you’re planning a one-day or multiple-day event, we are happy to help with information on catering, local accommodation, and transportation options.
General Information: All groups hosting an event at the Potomac Science Center should refer to this document.
Catering: Food served at events must be prepared by a licensed and insured caterer. Approved caterers, including the university’s catering service, are listed on the shopMason website. If your caterer is not on the approved list, following the instructions to have them approved.
China service or biodegradable products for food and beverage for outdoor events: As the Potomac Science Center is situated along Belmont Bay, we prefer food and beverage to be served using china service. However, if paper products must be used, we require that biodegradable products are used. Clients will be responsible for cleaning up all products and for any fees associated with clean-up of items that are not disposed of properly.
Transportation: There are several options to get to the Potomac Science Center:
- Driving: Whether on your own or carpooling, plug in our address to GPS: 650 Mason Ferry Avenue, Woodbridge, VA 22191
- Train: Potomac Science Center is about one mile from the Woodbridge Virginia Railway Express (VRE)/Amtrak Station (which also serves Union Station in Washington, DC); 6 miles from the Lorton VRE/Amtrak Station; and 12 miles from the Franconia-Springfield stop on the WMATA (Washington Metro Area Transit Authority) Blue Line. From the train stop, order a taxi, Uber or Lyft for a short ride to POV.
Internal Space Requests: Mason departments and offices interested in requesting event space, please use 25Live. To see space options, type in PSC or Potomac Science Center under the Quick Search option – Search Locations field.
External Client Space Request Form (non-Mason): Use this form if you are a non-Mason, external client and would like to reserve space at the Potomac Science Center for an upcoming event. Note: We require one month to process events and contracts. We will sometimes be able to do smaller events in 15 business days. But in order to do so, full payment is due upfront.
Life of an Event: This document walks you through the process of planning and hosting an event at the Potomac Science Center.
Nearby Hotels: View hotels near the Potomac Science Center.
Police Request Form: Use this form if you are in need of Mason Police presence at your event. Note: Events with alcohol are required to have police present.
Rental Rates: Listing of rental rates for event spaces in Potomac Science Center.
Sponsorship Request Form: Use this form if you are an external group attempting to gain sponsorship through a Mason academic department.
University Policy 1103: Space utilization and scheduling.
For more information on event spaces and rental procedures, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-993-7107.