Incredible views and versatile, state-of-the-art facilities provide a beautiful and ideal space for group meetings, trainings, special events, and celebrations. The Potomac Science Center is located in Woodbridge, Virginia, on the beautiful Belmont Bay.
First-class customer service and attention to detail will ensure high-quality service for your event needs. Event spaces offer cutting-edge audiovisual equipment, including projectors, screens, and sound systems.
The events team at Mason’s Potomac Science Center welcomes university departments, government agencies, businesses, community members, and non-profit organizations to host events at this exceptional location.
UPDATE: Important Announcement Regarding Events on Campus
Events have resumed on campus. Virtual events are still strongly encouraged. Guidelines for virtual events can be found on the Virtual Events website. If you wish to hold your event in person or are planning a hybrid in-person and virtual event, the university is implementing the following requirements and guidelines. For more information on these guidelines, please read Current Events Guidelines and Process.
Events will be held in accordance with current phase guidelines for Commonwealth of Virginia businesses and Mason’s Event Exception Committee guidelines:
- Meeting participants must wear face coverings.
- On-campus indoor events/gatherings limited to 10 participants, including event personnel.***
- On-campus outdoor events/gatherings limited to 25 participants, including event personnel.***
- Off-campus events/gatherings limited to 10 participants, including event personnel.***
- Groups can occupy a maximum of 30 percent of the event space.***
- Spaces must be configured to ensure that:
- 10 feet of physical distance is maintained for exercise activities, singing, or cheering.
- Six feet of distance is maintained for all other events.
- Speakers, performers, or presenters must be at least 10 feet from the audience.
- Events/gatherings must be seated. Exceptions would be clearly marked spaces for the purpose of prayer rugs or yoga mats, outdoor events where individuals bring their own seat/blanket, or in spaces with open play (pool tables, ping pong tables, etc.) with physical distancing.
- Events/gatherings cannot be open to the general public. RSVPs are required for all events, and organizers should check in participants and keep records of attendees/no-shows.*
- Exits must be configured to reduce bottlenecks when people leave.
- Signs must be posted at entrances stating that no one with a fever or symptoms of COVID-19, or known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the prior 14 days, can enter.
- Participants must complete the Mason COVID Health✓™ survey and receive a “green light” status on the day of the event.
- Signs must be posted with public health reminders on physical distancing, gatherings, options for high-risk individuals, and staying home if sick.
- Staff and participants must have access to facilities to wash hands with soap and water, or be provided with alcohol-based hand sanitizers containing at least 60 percent alcohol.
*General public is defined as anyone who is not a current Mason faculty, staff or student and has not registered for an event.
**Exemptions may be considered on a case by case basis. Venue managers and event schedulers are responsible for exemption waiver submissions.
***Capacities for event venues are rapidly changing as the status of COVID-19 changes. Please check 25Live and/or contact email@example.com or your event scheduler to inquire about current room capacities and layouts.
To reschedule or edit a current reservation, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For updates regarding the university and the Covid-19 pandemic, visit Mason’s Safe Return to Campus website.
Social Distancing Event Space Diagrams
Planning Your Event
Whether you’re planning a one-day or multiple-day event, we are happy to help with information on catering, local accommodation, and transportation options.
General Information: All groups hosting an event at the Potomac Science Center should refer to this document.
Catering: Food served at events must be prepared by a licensed and insured caterer. Approved caterers, including the university’s catering service, are listed on the shopMason website. If your caterer is not on the approved list, following the instructions to have them approved.
China service or biodegradable products for food and beverage for outdoor events: As the Potomac Science Center is situated along Belmont Bay, we prefer food and beverage to be served using china service. However, if paper products must be used, we require that biodegradable products are used. Clients will be responsible for cleaning up all products and for any fees associated with clean-up of items that are not disposed of properly.
Transportation: There are several options to get to the Potomac Science Center:
- Driving: Whether on your own or carpooling, plug in our address to GPS: 650 Mason Ferry Avenue, Woodbridge, VA 22191
- Train: Potomac Science Center is about one mile from the Woodbridge Virginia Railway Express (VRE)/Amtrak Station (which also serves Union Station in Washington, DC); 6 miles from the Lorton VRE/Amtrak Station; and 12 miles from the Franconia-Springfield stop on the WMATA (Washington Metro Area Transit Authority) Blue Line. From the train stop, order a taxi, Uber or Lyft for a short ride to POV.
Internal Space Requests: Mason departments and offices interested in requesting event space, please use 25Live. To see space options, type in PSC or Potomac Science Center under the Quick Search option – Search Locations field.
External Client Space Request Form (non-Mason): Use this form if you are a non-Mason, external client and would like to reserve space at the Potomac Science Center for an upcoming event. Note: We require one month to process events and contracts. We will sometimes be able to do smaller events in 15 business days. But in order to do so, full payment is due upfront.
Life of an Event: This document walks you through the process of planning and hosting an event at the Potomac Science Center.
Nearby Hotels: View hotels near the Potomac Science Center.
Police Request Form: Use this form if you are in need of Mason Police presence at your event. Note: Events with alcohol are required to have police present.
Rental Rates: Listing of rental rates for event spaces in Potomac Science Center.
Discount Request Form: Events organized jointly by Internal and External Clients are classified as External Events but are eligible for discounted rates. Internal clients, please fill out this form and submit details requested on the form.
University Policy 1103: Space utilization and scheduling.
For more information on event spaces and rental procedures, contact email@example.com or 703-993-7107.